BY- LAWS of the SCHOOL PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCIATION of CALIFORNIA, INC.
ORGANIZED MAY, 1955. INCORPORATED MAY 11, 1961
The name of this organization shall be: School Photographers Association of California, Inc.
DBA: SPAC : School and Sports Annual Conference
- To promote standards of high ethical conduct among the school photographers throughout the nation.
- To provide a working organization for any united effort in the common interest of school and sports photographers.
- To provide liaison between the School and/or Sports Administrator and officials the School Photographer in the interest of better understanding the problems of both in relation to School and Sports Photography and promote greater cooperation between the two.
- To promote unified good fellowship among members of the School and Sports Photography profession.
- To form a medium of cooperation with State and National Associations devoted to the betterment of professional photography.
- To gather and disseminate such information as may seem helpful to the members and to interchange among the members, ideas and experiences in order to provide helpful, professional advice and guidance.
Section1. Membership in this organization shall be open to the following classifications:
- An active member shall be a school or sports photographer either operating under a franchise of a company engaged in the taking, processing, and distribution of school or sports photographs state-wide or nationally, or who may own or operate a company or otherwise gain his chief means of livelihood from the taking of school or sports photographs. Only an active member shall be entitled to vote.
- A sustaining member shall be a person or firm engaged in the manufacture or distribution of photographic equipment or supplies, or which performs a service to school photographers. Sustaining members do not have a vote in the operation of the organization.
- An associate member shall be a person whose occupation shall be in some phase of school or sports photography other than as defined for an active member. Associate members do not have a vote in the operation of the association.
- An honorary member may by action of the Board of Directors be conferred upon an individual who has performed outstanding service to the school and sport photographic profession, or to this Association. This classification of membership is to be for one year but may be extended at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Honorary members do not have a vote in the operation of the association.
- A Lifetime Membership shall be granted to those retiring members, active in school photography for 20 years, and a member of SPAC for a minimum period of 20 years. Lifetime members do not have a vote in the operation of the association.
- In an effort to best service the small to medium school and sports photographers, all membership classification will only be available to companies or franchises that generate less than 25 million in annual sales (adjusted for inflation in 2015 dollars).
Section 2. The Board of Directors shall establish a schedule of annual dues applicable to various classifications of memberships.
Section 3. As a condition of membership, all active members shall sign a “Code of Conduct” pledge, as shall be determined by the Board of Directors.
Section 4. All applications for membership shall be submitted to the Board by the membership chairman and acceptance shall be contingent upon action by the Board of Directors.
Section 1. The Officers of this Association shall be a President, Vice President, Secretary-Treasurer and these officers together with other appointee from around the Americas, will serve as the Board of Directors. The appointees may advise the officers but will not have a vote in the operation of the organization.
Section 2. At its regular January meeting, the Board may place in nomination the name of any regular member to fill the vacancies of those officers whose 2-year terms are expiring. These nominees shall be voted on by the members and when elected shall immediately take office.
Section 3. Term of officers shall not exceed more than two years.
Section 4. In the event of death or resignation of any officer, the Board of Directors shall at its next regular meeting make an appointment to fill the vacancy.
Section 5. The immediate past President of this Association shall be a member of the Board of Directors for the two years following their term of office and automatically becomes membership chairman.
Section 1. Meetings shall be held semi-annually on the fourth Saturday of January and
the last Friday of June in a place and location determined by the Board members.
Section 1a. The travel expense and lodging for one night will be paid by this association for any officer that travels for an area meeting. Expenses will be paid as submitted with receipts.
Section 2. Meetings of the Board of Directors shall be held on the night preceding the regular meeting at a place and location determined by the Board Members. Other meetings of Board of Directors can be scheduled by President as needed. Board of Directors meetings must have quorum of 3 persons.
Section 1. Amendments to the By-Laws may be submitted in writing to the Board of Directors. Upon approval by the Board, the amendment shall be read to the membership at its next regular meeting and submitted for vote. To be adopted, an amendment must have a 2/3 majority.
Revised By Laws approved 1/28/2015